From Shawn Bayern <bay...@essentially.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Collections taglib
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:56:27 GMT
On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Basically, why show the java implementation, why not just offer up
> features which can be mutually compatabile. Then use Commons
> Collections to fill in any gaps, SortedMap etc.

This is an excellent idea, I think.  The only important point is that the
real Java implementation has to be consistent (and specified by us) behind
the scenes in order to ensure interoperability with JSTL.  For instance,
if we switched to a Set without the user's knowledge, then the EL wouldn't
be able to access numbered properties, even if the Set were logically
'ordered'.  Perhaps it would best to avoid Set completely, as we did in
the EL.

But you're absolutely right that the preliminary interface I proposed
isn't friendly enough for nonprogramming page authors.  It's a great
suggestion...

> comparator="Numerical" or some such. Then the parameters in the tld
> could list the standard comparators. These would again come from
> Commons, but be addable to by the developers.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "parameters in the TLD"?

Shawn