From Lima Marcelo-EML047 <eml...@motorola.com>
Subject RE: Image Taglib
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:33:25 GMT
Abey, Henri,

No worries there. ImageInfo by Marco Schmidt doesn't use AWT at all. It only loads the first
few hundred (if even) bytes off an image, and looks at the "magic bytes" for width and height
information. So it's possibly much faster than loading an entire image using AWT.

So, my image taglib doesn't use AWT. So far, it's working like PHP's getimagesize function.
It can print out height, width, or an html string 'height="xx" width="xx"'. It can also print
an entire image tag, and because it supports the use of a body, you can put any attributes
you want (onMouseOver, class, name, etc).

I should have a page up soon with the code and some examples.

-Marcelo

-----Original Message-----
From: Henri Yandell [mailto:bayard@generationjava.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 11:50 AM
To: Tag Libraries Developers List
Subject: RE: Image Taglib

Hey Abel,

I think people commonly use PJA for this at the moment, and JDK 1.4 comes
with a headless AWT library of its own.

-Djava.awt.headless=true  for jdk 1.4

http://www.eteks.com/pja/en/   for pja.

installing pja is basically a case of grabbing the jars and setting:

-Dawt.toolkit=com.eteks.awt.PJAToolkit
-Djava.awt.graphicsenv=com.eteks.java2d.PJAGraphicsEnvironment

though you might find you have to deal with setting some fonts as well, I
found I did for IBM but not for Sun. Not got those flags to hand at the
moment.

So not having X shoudn't be a problem, just make sure the image taglib
gives good docs on the headless stuff. WHat's the state of the image
taglib? I know you were working on it a lot, not heard things for a while.

Hen