From Shawn Bayern <bay...@essentially.net>
Subject RE: ldap support
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 01:47:36 GMT
On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Steve Bang wrote:

> Can anyone point me to how we could add expression language support to
> our commercial tag library?  It sounds like we have to do a bit more
> than just say that we support it.  I think I read that we need to add
> support for a few abstract classes.  What's involved? Where can I find
> the details?  I need to be able to tell our Java developers what they
> need to do.  I'm trying to get an enhancement request in ASAP, in
> hopes that it can make it into our next release, which will be after
> JTSTL 1.0 ships.

To integrate the EL into your tags -- a process that should be understood
NOT to be a use of JCP standards but instead a matter of taking advantage
of some tools provided in the JSTL RI -- you could simply call methods in
a class provided by the RI to handle expression interpretation.

Of course, nothing stops you from writing your own interpreter for the
JSTL EL and using it in your tags.  But I suspect that integrating the RI
code will be substantially easier.  Essentially, the interface will
probably look something like

  JstlExpressionInterpreter el = ... getInterpreter(...);
  ExpectedType result = (ExpectedType) el.evaluate(expression,
                                                   ExpectedType.class,
                                                   pageContext);

--
Shawn Bayern