From Shawn Bayern <bay...@essentially.net>
Subject Re: [standard] jstl (lang) comments/questions
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 14:55:28 GMT
On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Christopher Lenz wrote:

> - How should I do stuff like getting the context-path or server-info.
> I was assuming I could just do ${application.contextPath}, but it
> seems that only the attributes are accessible through the implicit
> objects.

We were hoping attributes were the common case; I didn't think this would
cause too much confusion.  Do you think it does?

To get non-attribute data, you can use, e.g.,

  ${pageContext.servletContext.contextPath}

We considered this something of an "advanced" usage, so we don't mind the
somewhat long expression.

> On a related note: I find the support for handling web-app internal
> links quite lacking: where's support for prepending relative links
> with the context-path and also 'rewriting' relative URLs, etc. ? Have
> I missed something obvious ?

Believe it or not, it's on its way.  :-)  We plan to have much better
support for managing URLs in the upcoming milestone release.

--
Shawn Bayern
Author, "JSP Standard Tag Library"  http://www.jstlbook.com