From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: move the JSTL & JSP EL to Jakarta Commons?
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:36:07 GMT
On 3/12/02 11:05 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:25:04 -0500
>> From: Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@optonline.net>
>> To: Tag Libraries Developers List <taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
>> Subject: Re: move the JSTL & JSP EL to Jakarta Commons?

>>> Definitely something I'd like to be able to do.
>>>

>> Are there any licensing issues that prevent that?
>>

> Nope -- everything in jakarta-taglibs/standard is Apache licensed.  It's
> just a matter of knowing enough about the API to do the integration.

And being allowed to implement the spec.  See other post.

> I'm also toying with a really wild idea for Workflow -- use a JSP page
> (with JSTL and whatever other custom tag libraries make sense) to
> encapsulate the scripting of an Activity (in the commons-workflow sense)
> instead of creating yet another language.  JSP would be used to script the
> business logic instead of the presentation ... it ought to be rather
> interesting to see if this really works :-).

James was talking about something similar in commons-land but using Jelly.

I am working on a workflow project for a client, and I resorted to creating
YAL for the 'activity' language for the workflow nodes.  I wanted to tailor
the language to be used by bordering-on-non-techincal people, as well as
having a similarity to the pseudo code used to describe the activities by
the business. I also needed to be able to checkpoint execution to be able to
invoke other activities from within activities, where the other activities
were not necessarily in the same VM (or on the same machine...)

I would think there would be no problem using JSP to do that, other than the
expected ocular fatigue induced by all those pointy brackets :)

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                      geirm@optonline.net
System and Software Consulting