From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: move the JSTL & JSP EL to Jakarta Commons?
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:40:40 GMT

]
> JSTL &
> reusable
> other
>>>
>>> Definitely something I'd like to be able to do.
>>>

>> Are there any licensing issues that prevent that?
>
> I don't think so. The rest of the JSTL reference implementation is all ASF
> licenced too. Its more of a packaging issue.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of spec licensing - not the
licensing of the RI, which of course being the Apache license means it can
be moved, but the spec license itself.  When following the link posted by
Shawn, I had to agree to a license which says, on the second line :

"The Specification is protected by copyright and the information described
therein may be protected by one or more U.S. patents, foreign patents, or
pending applications. Except as provided under the following license, no
part of the Specification may be reproduced in any form by any means without
the prior written authorization of Sun Microsystems, Inc. ("Sun") and its
licensors, if any."

And there was nothing else in that license which gave me the idea that I
could implement it. This is not new, clever or original thinking on my part
- this is the normal JSR spec license issue...

So how does it work here?   Even if the JSTL here in taglibs was given
dispensation to distribute the RI, does that mean it carries over to a
commons impl?

System and Software Consulting
The question is : What is a Mahnamahna?