From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: move the JSTL & JSP EL to Jakarta Commons?
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 04:05:43 GMT

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:25:04 -0500
> From: Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@optonline.net>
> To: Tag Libraries Developers List <taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: move the JSTL & JSP EL to Jakarta Commons?
>
> On 3/12/02 8:30 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, James Strachan wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 00:59:38 -0000
> >> From: James Strachan <james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk>
> >> To: taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> >> Subject: move the JSTL & JSP EL to Jakarta Commons?
> >>
> >> I just wondered if at some point it might be a nice idea to move the JSTL &
> >> JSP EL reference implementation to the Jakarta Commons project as a reusable
> >> component? Then folks could use it either from their own tags or in other
> >> projects.
> >>
> >> e.g. I could imagine its useful in the commons-workflow project as well as
> >> maybe commons-jelly as well.
> >>

> > Definitely something I'd like to be able to do.
> >

> Are there any licensing issues that prevent that?

Nope -- everything in jakarta-taglibs/standard is Apache licensed.  It's
just a matter of knowing enough about the API to do the integration.

I'm also toying with a really wild idea for Workflow -- use a JSP page
(with JSTL and whatever other custom tag libraries make sense) to
encapsulate the scripting of an Activity (in the commons-workflow sense)
instead of creating yet another language.  JSP would be used to script the
business logic instead of the presentation ... it ought to be rather
interesting to see if this really works :-).

> --
> Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     geirm@optonline.net

Craig