From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject [standard] auto-add request parameters as attributes ?
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:23:40 GMT
Hi jstl-developers,

While playing with JSTL EA3, I've encountered some problems:

- It would be nice if there was a way to directly use request-parameters in
evaluated expressions. The only way I've found to access parameters is to
explicitly add them to the page attributes (using a scriptlet or another
taglib). How about either:
  (a) automatically adding the parameter to the page attributes or
  (b) adding an associative container ('params' or sth) to the page
      attributes, that contains all the parameters
  (I'm not sure how the expression evaluation support is designed, but when I
  say 'added to the attributes' I actually mean 'included in the evaluation'.)

- Having some implicit objects usable in expressions would be nice, similar to
  the implicit scripting variables request, response, etc.

- I think there's a bug in org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.el.core.ExprTag,
  in the method doEndTag():

    // verify and print out the body
    String bcs = getBodyContent().getString();
    if (bcs == null || bcs.trim().equals(""))
        throw new JspTagException(
             Resources.getMessage("EXPR_BAD_VALUE", value));
    getBodyContent().writeOut(pageContext.getOut());

  Here (bcs == null) is checked after the getString() has been called on the
  object, which makes the check kind of useless, because there'll be a
  NPE thrown.

Other than that I think JSTL is looking pretty cool, especially with the ECMA-
Script support.

-chris
 /=/ cmlenz at gmx.de