From Stefan Kost <s.k...@webmacher.de>
Subject Re: xsl-fo taglib
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 09:46:16 GMT
Hi James,

using fop it's like using styl plus something else. one uses a
xsl-styleshett to produce a xml-file containg of formating objects (fo
describes a pags as a set of boxes with content, the fo-processor=fop
layouts tis and exports a pdf, svg, ...). After transforming the xml to
a xml with fo, one would make a call to the fop to render the doc.

To use it I would set the jsps content type to pdf and the have
something like this
<xtags:style-fop xsl="topdf.xsl">
  ... my xml output ...
</xstags:style-fop>

In a projed I work within we currently use the xsl taglib to produce out
html pages. we use different xsl-style-sheets to produce reports
(eliminating formfiled and navigation etc.). I already modified that
taglib, to use xalan2 api and further to cache the xsl-transformer
objects in a hashmap (this yielded 30% speed increase !). We now thing
about to use fo for the reports as a on-the-fly generated pdf is much
easier to print and has more possibillities for e.g. graphs.

to the apache fop. Its written in 100% java, so we can instaciate the
fop directly (no need for a servlet). The object-instance can be reused,
once the job is done.

Stefan

--

 < W E B M A C H E R >