From "Bob Lee" <...@dynwebdev.com>
Subject Re: xsl-fo taglib
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 14:53:25 GMT
Oh, man. I just did very similar stuff in org.apache.taglibs.xsl (see
previous e-mail).

There is an XSLTransformerFactory in there that caches thread-safe Templates
globally and Transformers in a ThreadLocal. It's well over one hundred times
faster than creating them from scratch and you have perfectly consistent
performance (no long sync contention under heavy loads). It also has
functionality to check the lastModified date on the xsl file or URL. You can
set a refresh interval on this check so that it will only check once for the
time period you specify; a Transformer retrieval without the check is three
times faster.

The actual transform tags allow you to input XML from a document, an
existing DOM tree, or the tag body. The xml and xsl documents can be
relative URL's or remote URL's. The tag will differentiate automatically.

There is also a cache tag that gives you a lot of flexibility in caching
transform results. You can cache dynamic results in any context,
page..application.

There's also a Writer adapter in there. I had a problem with Xalan's
Transformer flushing the output. If you wrap the JspWriter in a
FlushIgnorantWriter, it will simply ignore the flush and the performance hit
will be minimal.

The code is very tight and well-documented. I would have modified xtags but
I decided the scope was too big for what I needed.

Thank you,
Bob