From <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject RE: Tag libs for Images
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2001 14:45:58 GMT

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Abey Mullassery wrote:

> I was thinking about tags which will allow you to manipulate, display or do
> both on images which you already have.
> For eg.,
> # Display all images in a particular directory as thumbnails and on click
> show a realsize image in a popup or so.

I think this is your 'killer app'. Though I think going for the simplest
building block would be best, ie) an <image:thumbnail height=".."
width=".." src=".."/> and let the developer worry about how to do the
linking at first. Then add a popup version, or flag.

Making it cache the thumbnail's would be pretty good.

> # Generate dynamic images with copyright information on it (text specified
> dynamically)
> # Add a border to the image
> and so on.
> Would like to know more useful ideas to implement.

I know PHP is the current weapon of choice for someone wanting to do this
kind of thing, so investigating the things you can do in the core and
other php image libraries would be a good idea.

Other nice things I'd like to do with images: change the colouration.

ie) user's profile has a flag which says to greyscale all images for
download speed.

A more advanced version would allow you to 'blue' up an image, or remove a
bit of green etc. Take the user to a page with a choice of images, they
choose the one that looks best and you 'adjust' all images for their
monitor. Would require a bit of disk space that one :)

Ascii art option. Show all images as Ascii :)

Flattern animations. Take the first frame of any animation and don't
download the whole thing.

Writing words across images is a big one as you've pointed out. I'm
especially thinking of 'SOLD' or '50% SALE' for places like ebay and
amazon.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment..

Bay