From Shawn Bayern <bay...@essentially.net>
Subject Re: [JSPTL] Left-side expressions
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:54:55 GMT
On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Dmitri Plotnikov wrote:

 >    pointer = to + i;
 >    *pointer = from[i];
 >
 > It works, but is offensive esthetically.

Point taken.  We should keep that in mind.

> So maybe there is a need for yet another spec that would deal directly
> with expression languages.

The JSR for JSP 1.3 suggests that EL functionality may be incorporated
into the JSP standard itself, moving the burden of evaluation from the tag
handler to the container.  The JSR-052 group thus gets to punt on the
issue. :-)

But, like I said, our plan (as far as I know) is still to expose this
publicly and cleanly in the RI in order to provide a transitional (but
non-standard) API for those who want it.

Shawn