From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: using jjar (was Re: thoughts on new builds(was:Re:[UPDATE]Converting existingtaglibs to use new build))
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:55:47 GMT
Shawn Bayern wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
> > It is dangerous.  However, in a network application - if the network
> > is unavailable, you are hosed anyway...  that's they way I see it
> > working in a pure 'fetch' mode - when the network is down, the app is
> > useless, so the classloader having problems would be the least of your
> > worries.
>
> But just to play devil's advocate, "the network" isn't a monolithic
> entity.  My institution's connection to Jakarta might be down because of a
> dropped link on the part of an intervening router.

Yes.  However, Mr. Devil, I assume that when we get to the stage where a
bare classloader is ready, we can start fanning out the repository.

And yes, there will be a risk.

Further (and really dreaming here) that something like this will really
be useful where a connection provider can also provide application
services like the repository - an example would be how I understand the
NTT DoCoMo system works - NTT is the gatekeeper, and make sure that
facilities and services are available for their phone customers.

> If the plan would be to suggest always using local repositories, that's
> definitely less dangerous, but then I'm not convinced I'd prefer using a
> custom classloader over an NFS share. :-)

I think local if you can is best, as we know that the versions are
right, and it would be the fastest...

> Dunno... just exploring the ideas.  Don't mean to sound negative; I think
> the overall effort is quite cool.  I may just not (yet?) share your
> enthusiasm about the custom classloader, personally.  The build-time
> advantages seem clear; the runtime ones, to me, seem less so.

No worries.  I don't share the enthusiasm either for the custom
classloader yet when it comes to putting the rubber to the road - much
diddling has to be done.  And in the end it may just suck :)

> Shawn

System and Software Consulting