From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: using jjar (was Re: thoughts on new builds (was:Re:[UPDATE]Converting existingtaglibs to use new build))
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2001 03:40:35 GMT
Shawn Bayern wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
> > > I think the idea is cool, but there are dangers that make it seem, at
> > > first glance, unwieldy.  The runtime behavior of an application could be
> > > modified without local action on a user's end, for instance.
> >
> > Not if you specify versions specifically - because Velocity 1.1 is
> > Velocity 1.1.  If you said Velocity *, then yes, if we in Velocity land
> > weren't so good about deprecation :) then you could get into real
> > trouble. And that's what happens when you use a classpath, right? :)
> >
> > (I think the classpath is evil...)
> >
> > > Also, do you have any thoughts about a particular security model?  (E.g.,
> > > how to accommodate unsigned jars or to determine what certificates are
> > > appropriate?)
> >
> > No - that's a good thing to think about.
>
> The two are related, I think; the thing I was getting at by asking how
> much you anticipate occuring at runtime (via a custom classloader) is that
> it becomes hard to ensure that an application is "knowable" if it's
> affected by things like network availability, or perhaps by a compromised
> server somewhere.  I can't imagine setting up a production application,
> for instance, that has dependencies this far beyond the production
> entity's control.  (However, the classloader might simplify development
> and testing... still, without an explicit security model, it feel like too
> much would be happening automatically if the classloader automatically
> fetched new versions of things.)
>
> I think the idea is rather cool, and it's a novel approach, but I also
> think it's very dangerous. :)

It is dangerous.  However, in a network application - if the network is
unavailable, you are hosed anyway...  that's they way I see it working
in a pure 'fetch' mode - when the network is down, the app is useless,
so the classloader having problems would be the least of your worries.

For a non network dependant app, its a great way to deploy if it uses a
local repository... although it may not be a big deal...

> Shawn

geir

System and Software Consulting