From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: using jjar (was Re: thoughts on new builds (was: Re: [UPDATE]Converting existingtaglibs to use new build))
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:59:14 GMT
From: "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geirm@optonline.net>
> > I'll gladly help all I can integrating jjar into the jakarta-taglibs
build
> > process (as an optional target).
>
> How do you see it working?  In just the build process, or at runtime?

I think for now, just a build process that can download all the required
jars to a local directory somewhere will do.

So then if a developer wishes to build the jakarta-taglibs for the first
time they could do

build download
    (then jjar kicks off, downloading local copies of all the required jars
into a local repository)
build dist
    (now do a build as we've got the jars somewhere).

Then the default build.properties could contain links to where the jars will
be downloaded to.

So the build would just run out of the box by default. If a user didn't want
to use jjar but would rather use their own jars elsewhere, they could
provide their own build.local.properties to override the defaults in
build.properties.

> My vision for this kind of stuff is to see how far we can push
> runtime-ish stuff...  However, the build process use is easy, as it's
> just another use of runtime...

Agreed. I'm interested in the runtime side of things too - though probably
not for the jakarta-taglibs build. Lets keep those thoughts for
jakarta-commons.

James