jakarta-taglibs-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Converting existing taglibs to use new build
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2001 08:52:36 GMT
Hi Glenn

At first glance this all looks great. I'll volunteer for log, io, xtags. If
Tim doesn't jump in, I'll attempt to do i18n too.

James

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn Nielsen" <glenn@voyager.apg.more.net>
To: <taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2001 1:55 AM
Subject: Converting existing taglibs to use new build


> I haven't heard any complaints yet, so I am assuming that everyone is
> OK with the changes I have made to the build.
>
> The regexp taglib has already been converted over to use the new build,
> you can look at regexp as an example of the new build.  The format of
> the generated taglib documentation has changed, you can view it at:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/regexp-doc/index.html
>
> The new template for generating docs has many new features.
>
> <toc> - Add additional sections to the table of contents after the
>         Tag Reference section.
>
> <tagtoc> - Categorize the tags for taglib into different areas.
>
> <revision> - root element of a section for managing the taglib change
history.
>
> Support for the latest JSP1.2 PFD2 taglib DTD.
>
> Multiple scripting variables can be defined for a tag.
>
> The generated docs no longer use the taglib.css stylesheet.
>
> You can also refer to the sourcedist and addtaglib documentation for
> more information about the new taglib layout and build.
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/sourcedist.html
> http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/addtaglib.html
>
> Existing taglibs that already use common.xml and gen-docs (io,log,xtags)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Review src/taglib-template/taglib-template.xml and update your
> xml/{taglib.name}.xml file with the required elements and modify
> some of the existing elements.
>
> Merge any changes from your {taglib.name}/doc/web/changes.xml
> into your {taglib.name}/{taglib.name}.xml.
> Then remove the file {taglib.name}/doc/web/changes.xml
>
> Change any references to view source in your static html or jsp files
> located in {taglib.name}/examples/web to use the new html version
> of the jsp source.  i.e. change <a href="foo.txt">View foo.jsp source</>
> to <a href="foo.html">View foo.jsp source</>
>
> If the taglib has dependencies on any other API's in jar files:
>
>  - verify that build.properties.sample has an entry for it,
>    add one if necessary
>  - add a checkRequiredFile to your {taglib.name}/build.xml
>    (see regexp/build.xml for example)
>  - remove the jar files from cvs
>  - servlet.jar is already addressed by common.xml
>  - Remove any requirements from build to use predefined shell env
variables
>
> Remove the line in {taglib.name}/build.xml that sets the property
> gen-docs.present.
>
> Do an "ant clean" then an "ant dist" build, then verify that
> everything was built correctly.
>
> Existing taglibs that use taglib-doc-kit (gnat-tags)
> ----------------------------------------------------
>
> Review src/taglib-template/taglib-template.xml and update your
> xml/{taglib.name}.xml file with the required elements and modify
> some of the existing elements.
>
> Merge any changes from your {taglib.name}/doc/web/changes.html
> into your {taglib.name}/{taglib.name}.xml.
> Then remove the file {taglib.name}/doc/web/changes.html
>
> Change any references to view source in your static html or jsp files
> located in {taglib.name}/examples/web to use the new html version
> of the jsp source.  i.e. change <a href="foo.txt">View foo.jsp source</>
> to <a href="foo.html">View foo.jsp source</>
>
> Copy src/taglib-template/xml/intro.xml to {taglib.name}/xml/intro.xml.
> Edit as necessary for the taglib.
>
> Copy src/taglib-template/build.xml to {taglib.name}/build.xml.
>
> If the taglib has dependencies on any other API's in jar files:
>
>  - verify that build.properties.sample has an entry for it,
>    add one if necessary
>  - add a checkRequiredFile to your {taglib.name}/build.xml
>    (see regexp/build.xml for example)
>  - remove the jar files from cvs
>  - servlet.jar is already addressed by common.xml
>  - Remove any requirements from build to use predefined shell env
variables
>
> Remove conf/{taglib-name}.tld and the conf directory.
>
> Remove build.bat and build.sh files.
>
> Remove gnat-tags.html and taglib.css from the {taglib.name/doc/web
directory.
>
> Remove the following from {taglib.name}/xml directory
>  - footer.xsl
>  - taglib-doc.xsl
>  - taglib.css
>  - tld.xsl
>
> Do an "ant clean" then an "ant dist" build, then verify that
> everything was built correctly.
>
> Existing taglibs that use common.xml but not gen-docs (i18n)
> ------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Copy src/taglib-template/xml/taglib-template.xml as
> {taglib.name}/{taglib.name}.xml.  Edit the xml data file
> for the taglib.
>
> Change any references to view source in your static html or jsp files
> located in {taglib.name}/examples/web to use the new html version
> of the jsp source.  i.e. change <a href="foo.txt">View foo.jsp source</>
> to <a href="foo.html">View foo.jsp source</>
>
> If the taglib has dependencies on any other API's in jar files:
>
>  - verify that build.properties.sample has an entry for it,
>    add one if necessary
>  - add a checkRequiredFile to your {taglib.name}/build.xml
>    (see regexp/build.xml for example)
>  - remove the jar files from cvs
>  - servlet.jar is already addressed by common.xml
>  - Remove any requirements from build to use predefined shell env
variables
>
> Remove conf/{taglib-name}.tld and the conf directory.
>
> Remove doc/web/index.html.
>
> Do an "ant clean" then an "ant dist" build, then verify that
> everything was built correctly.
>
> Existing taglibs that use original build (remaining)
> ----------------------------------------------------
>
> Copy src/taglib-template/xml/taglib-template.xml as
> {taglib.name}/{taglib.name}.xml.  Edit the xml data file
> for the taglib.
>
> Change any references to view source in your static html or jsp files
> located in {taglib.name}/examples/web to use the new html version
> of the jsp source.  i.e. change <a href="foo.txt">View foo.jsp source</>
> to <a href="foo.html">View foo.jsp source</>
>
> If the taglib doesn't have an xml/intro.xml file yet, copy
> src/taglib-template/xml/intro.xml to {taglib.name}/xml/intro.xml.
> Edit as necessary for the taglib.
>
> Copy src/taglib-template/build.xml to {taglib.name}/build.xml.
>
> If the taglib has dependencies on any other API's in jar files:
>
>  - verify that build.properties.sample has an entry for it,
>    add one if necessary
>  - add a checkRequiredFile to your {taglib.name}/build.xml
>    (see regexp/build.xml for example)
>  - remove the jar files from cvs
>  - servlet.jar is already addressed by common.xml
>  - Remove any requirements from build to use predefined shell env
variables
>
> Remove conf/{taglib-name}.tld and the conf directory.
>
> Remove build.bat and build.sh files.
>
> Remove doc/web/index.html and doc/web/changes.html.
>
> Do an "ant clean" then an "ant dist" build, then verify that
> everything was built correctly.
>
> All taglibs
> -----------
>
> Please verify that the tag library meets the taglib coding standards and
> the taglib development guidelines.
>
> Call for Volunteers
> -------------------
>
> It would be nice if we could get all jakarta-taglibs converted over
> to the new build process.  Once converted over we can vote on doing
> a beta release of each taglib, then after a few weeks if all is OK,
> an official release. I can volunteer to act as the release manager.
>
> So here is a call for volunteers/authors to convert individual taglibs:
>
> application
> benchmark
> bsf
> datetime - Glenn
> dbtags
> foundation - Glenn
> gnat-tags
> i18n
> input
> io
> jndi
> jspspec
> log
> mailer
> page
> random
> regexp - DONE!
> request - Glenn
> response - Glenn
> scopes
> scrape
> session - Glenn
> sql
> tools/Ultradev/4.0/ctlx
> utility
> xsl
> xtags
>
> The new build is backward compatible so all of the original builds
> for the above still work.  But it would be nice to have all taglibs
> that will be released converted so that the docs & builds are consistent.
>
> I am still looking for ideas on how we can organize a taglib/build so
> that a taglib can support both JSP1.1 and new features of JSP1.2.
>
> Regards,
>
> Glenn
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Glenn Nielsen             glenn@more.net | /* Spelin donut madder    |
> MOREnet System Programming               |  * if iz ina coment.      |
> Missouri Research and Education Network  |  */                       |
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>


_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com


Mime
View raw message