From "Jayson Falkner" <jay...@jspinsider.com>
Subject Re: POP and IMAP tags - Anyone working on them?
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2001 03:55:45 GMT
> I was thinking along the lines of using the connection tag for both
libraries
> and keeping the POP3 separate, but since the code for much of it will be
> similar, it doesnt really make sense to start POP3 until the IMAP support
is
> fairly mature.
Okay, IMHO doesn't matter how the project gets done as someone is making
sure the task is being correctly approached.

> There are quite a few IMAP servers out there that only partially support
the
> protocol, and the ones that do don't always do it correctly.
I understand, however I haven't had a similar experience. I have 3 IMAP
accounts and a POP3 account all on different OS/servers and they were using
the same set of receive mail tags. Are you positive the issue merits great
concern? If only a few percent use a crappy IMAP implementation a nice FAQ
can say, "you are out of luck, support the standards."

> It would be helpful to gain IMAP accounts on as many different servers as
> possible for testing purposes to try to keep this project as vanilla as
> possible. Please send test accounts login/pass to the list ;) Even
feedback
> as successes or failures on different servers would be helpful.
Count in my accounts for testing. However, I'm still interested in the above
question.

> I do see a compelling reason for keeping the mailer tag separate, since
there
> are many who simply want to send form submissions etc., but that's just my
> opinion.
Alright, how about a compromise? Keep the tags separate, but we can provide
an optional package with everything that demonstrates a Hotmail style
utility. This way we can ensure the separate tags don't cross-over too much
functionality

> The original goal of the effort was to create a set of tags for
webdesigners
> to build webmail interfaces with little to no jsp/java experience (kinda
like
> me).
That should always be a goal when using custom tags. My concerns are to make
a pseudo-standard so that people can start building the interface rather
then plan a taglib, make some tags...

> As far as pitching your efforts, please do. That is why it is here.
Great! Now if it was just easier to become a committer... : )

Jayson Falkner
jayson@jspinsider.com