From Shawn Bayern <bay...@essentially.net>
Subject RE: Major design flaw in DBTags!
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2001 00:18:00 GMT
On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Sean Rohead wrote:

> What you say about tags not getting cleaned up may be true in older
> containers, but in the current version of tomcat, the release() method is
> called in a finally block and is *guaranteed* by the 1.2 spec to be called.

Even better, if the library targets JSP 1.2, the tag handler can implement
TryCatchFinally and be sure to close the connection it opened before it
goes out of scope.

Can we support both usage patterns in Jakarta Taglibs?  In some cases, a
more declarative open/close set of semantics might make more sense, but
some authors might value the simplicity of a nested block that takes care
of everything automatically.

Shawn