From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: resubmit: build process without .bat and .sh files
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 10:51:00 GMT
From: "Jeff Turner" <jeff@socialchange.net.au>

> 1) Would it be possible/desirable to eliminate environment variables
> altogether, and just require the user to edit a properties file (with
entries
> like "servlet.jar=/var/tomcat/lib/servlet.jar")?
>
> Environment variables have the disadvantages that:
>  - they're ephemeral, lost when the terminal/DOS box closes (unless stored
in
>    .bash_profile, etc)
>  - the notion of an environment variable isn't portable across OSes
>
> Env variables -> properties would be a trivial change in common.xml.

I agree. I'd like a standard jakarta-taglibs/lib CVS directory with the
common JARs there so an end user doesn't have to download them all & add
them to Ant's lib directory.

Then if a user wishes to change which versions are used they could either
copy new JARs into the lib directory or provide a local.properties file
(say) that common.xml could use to override where to find the required JARs.

Though I'm following the discussions on Jakarta-commons on JJAR and CJAN as
this problem might be able to be tackled in a more elegant manner - as this
problem applies to any open source project with dependencies.

Right now the XTags library requires dom4j.jar, log4j, xalan.jar,
crimson.jar and jaxp.jar. So to avoid alot of work for the end user, I've
added these into the local lib directory.

James