From Shawn Bayern <bay...@essentially.net>
Subject Re: logging tags (was Re: [PROPOSAL] Simple benchmarking taglib)
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:41:17 GMT
On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, James Strachan wrote:

> The same logging mechanism could be used for 'semantic logging' for
> click-stream analysis and hooks into personalisation engines and the
> like...

Ha, I was just going to suggest something similar, along the lines of
Apache's mod_usertrack.  Since we get sessions for free, click-stream
analysis can actually be quite simple; it's really nothing more than the
'semantic logging' you suggest.

Any takers?  I'd write it myself but will be a bit busy over the next few
days.  I can probably pick it up later if nobody else wants to.

I haven't thought through the best way to let users analyze the data.
Were you thinking (like me) that we could also provide a tool, or
guidelines, to interpret the 'semantic logging' data we stored?  Perhaps a
tag-based interface to the data would also be a good idea, just to
demonstrate the technique?

Shawn