From Pete Gordon <PGor...@fourthchannel.com>
Subject RE: shopping cart
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:20:36 GMT
I was thinking about this a little the other day also (a few weeks ago).

I imagine that you would have a set of interfaces that abstract the objects
and functionality used within the shopping cart (iOrder, iProduct,
iProductGroup, iLineItem) that then must be implemented by the tag users in
their application so that things like getProductPrice could be controlled by
the user as to the business logic, but quickly available to the UI through
the JSP Tag and Extra Info.

Just a quick thought.

Pete Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 1:54 PM
To: taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: shopping cart

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Todd Chaffee wrote:

> I don't have much yet :)  I wanted to see how much interest there is so I
> can prioritize it.  I'm on the fence about going forward with it at this
> point because I'm not sure if my client needs it but if there is enough
> outside interest I will continue work on it.

I think the general idea of abstracting out the guts of a shopping cart
is kind of interesting.  What I'm wondering, though, is:

* Is there really such a thing as a "generic" set of functionality
  that can be done this way, but still leave people the flexibility
  to customize as needed for their own requirements?

* Can you define all of the required functionality purely in a tag
  library, without making assumptions about the underlying business
  logic and/or web application framework?

> - Todd Chaffee

Craig McClanahan

> At 11:48 PM 04/19/01 -0400, you wrote:
> >On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Todd Chaffee wrote:
> >
> > > I am developing a Shopping Cart tag library for one of my projects.
Would