From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Why? RE: logging tags (was Re: [PROPOSAL] Simple benchmarking taglib)
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:41:11 GMT
From: "Mike Cannon-Brookes" <mcannon@internet.com>
> Out of interest (I know Joe's library is already Open Source) why
replicate
> effort that's already been written and debugged?

I'd prefer to use Joe's library rather than replicate it! I just wasn't sure
of the issues around 'external' tag libraries inside the jakarta-taglibs
project.

I'd like to see jakarta-taglibs have a full set of core taglibs including
logging and benchmarking, all documented & indexed consistently on the
apache web site - hopefully one day available as a single download.  Quite
how this happens I'm not sure.

Maybe the jakarta-taglibs site needs to just reference several other
external, open source tag libs too that the user must surf to / download
seperately? Kind of "jakarta-taglibs endorses the following other tag
libraries..." section on the web site?

Would there be licencing issues if non-Apache licenced tag libs were used on
other Apache projects? I know Apache projects have problems with GPL code -
is (Joe's) Artistic licence a problem?

I guess it wouldn't be a problem to use Joe's binaries in an Apache
project's distribution would it? So if a jakarta-taglib wished to use Joe's
library in the example web app it would be OK?

<James/>