From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject [VOTE] adding the log taglib to CVS... (was: Re: taglib contributions)
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:54:23 GMT
> I'd be interested in seeing them as part of the project.  If they are
> useful the flaws will be eliminated - that's the beauty of open source.
If
> they aren't useful they can eventually be removed.  I'm always in favor of
> more choices and I'm sure I could use at least the logging tags.

I agree - I'd particularly find the log tags useful.  They are a natural fit
with Shawns benchmarking tags too..

They are documented here:-

http://www.epesh.com/logtags.jsp

So we could do things like

<log:info category="foo.bar">
    <benchmark:duration>
        do some stuff here...
    </benchmark:duration>
</log:info>

I'd be happy to help maintain and extend them too.

Already log4j is a Jakarta project and it supports a variety of output
destinations such as files, JMS or SMTP. Also logging can be enabled and
disabled per on individual categories dynamically - so this taglib would
solve my logging needs today.

I'm sure in the future we can extend this, such as providing a standard web
app for configuring or viewing log4j. Or providing hooks for additional
'logging providers' such as things like buffering up log messages in memory
then sending them out in blocks or whatever.

So I'd like to call a vote to add the log taglib to CVS...

+1

If we get enough votes I'd be happy to setup the 'Jakarta-style' Ant build
process and check it into CVS.

James