From Scott Stirling <sstirl...@allaire.com>
Subject ResourceBundles and JSP tags
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:47:05 GMT
I started the process of putting all Gnat Taglib exception and message
strings in ListResourceBundles this weekend.  I have some ideas and
questions pertaining to their use in taglibs.

1. ListResourceBundles are unsynchronized.  Seems like there's a good chance
of contention for objects in them, especially if there are several of the
same tags on a page with several pages executing simultaneously.  Should the
general rule be that we synchronize access to ListResourceBundles?  Will
that make deadlock more or less likely?  Anyone have much experience with
ResourceBundles in a very multi-threaded environment?

2. The general issue of l10n in JSP tag libs: what do you think?  I think
it's a good thing to do, by at least using ResourceBundles for exception and
message strings.  The taglib users can take care of localizing the Strings
to different languages, but it would be nice if we already wrote the tags
with that in mind.

3. Related issue: should we draw up a document of coding and tag design
guidelines?  Joe Ottinger began this discussion a few weeks ago, but we
never solidified anything.  The Avalon project has a pretty sane set of
guidelines we could adopt as a basis.  And we could add tag library specific
ones to it.  I'd post the URL to it, but the java.apache.org and jakarta
sites are temporarily down, it seems.

Scott Stirling
Allaire Corporation
http://www.allaire.com/developer/jrunreferencedesk/