From "A. Keyton Weissinger" <keyt...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: Taglib Naming Conventions
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2001 04:02:07 GMT
Sounds good. Note that it seems that Scott's suggestion of foo-tags works
better IMO than the also suggested:

   e.g.: jakarta-taglibs-sql.jar
         org_apache_jakarta_taglibs_sql.jar
         org-apache-jakarta-taglibs-sql.jar

Though I agree with Pierre that the packaging rules would work too, the
current Jakarta projects also have the doc and examples targets in their
builds which would lead to

         	org-apache-jakarta-taglibs-sql-doc.war and
         	org-apache-jakarta-taglibs-sql-examples.war and

Beginning to get too long.

My $0.02.

Keyton

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Stirling [mailto:sstirling@mediaone.net]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 7:40 PM
To: Jakarta Taglib Project
Subject: Taglib Naming Conventions

Sorry, lot's of email from me today...

This is on the subject of naming conventions, which has been 'round
before, but I thought I had something to add after letting the topic
gestate for a couple weeks.  ;->

OK, we've got taglibs named the following (except I just noticed the
JDBC lib isn't on the Web page - is there a reason for that or does it
just need to be added?) :  xsl, jdbc, jndi, and sql.

One of the objections to a taglib named Ant (I always called it ant-tags
or Ant Taglib, but I digress) was that people would be confused about
the name.  Don't worry, I'm not going to try to resurrect that thread!
The only place I can see people being confused about taglib names and
other entity names is if they get a jar file and forget where it came
from.  As it is, if they download the JNDI taglib or the JDBC taglib,
they should know they aren't downloading the JNDI or JDBC APIs, right?
I would think so.  Later, if they find this jar file lying around named
jdbc.jar, they might think that was the JDBC libs from Sun.  Unlikely,
but possible.

Further, if they did put one of these taglibs in an app server's lib or
JVM's ext directory where there happened to be another jndi.jar,
xsl.jar, etc., then they will inadvertently overwrite the existing file
with a tag library, which is probably not what they want.

So I was just thinking that having all the taglibs adhere to a naming
convention of foo-tags.jar (or pick something better) for jar files, and
generally foo-tags wherever someone might mistake a taglib name for
something else would be a good idea.  Anyone else?

As for Gnat, it's also the name of the GNU Ada 95 compiler (Translator)
and the Global Network of Astronomical Telescopes.  But since we're in
the Java JSP Tag Library "package" (speaking metaphorically), I hope
people will be able to keep them separate.  Just in case, adding a
"*-tags" to file names and directories should disambiguate any remaining
name confusions.  Any comments?

Best,

Scott Stirling
West Newton, MA