From Pierre Delisle <pierre.deli...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Ant Taglib - first draft
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2001 19:37:45 GMT
Scott,

Great stuff!

One quick comment about the TLD.

If the <uri> tag is defined as follows in the TLD:

        <uri>http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/ant-tags-1.0</uri>

then under a JSP 1.2 compliant container (such as tomcat-4.0), all a
user has to do to use the tag library is to:
        1. copy the jar file into the /WEB-INF/lib subdirectory of
           the web application.
        2. add the taglib directive at the top of each page using it:
            <%@ taglib uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/ant-tags-1.0"
                prefix="foo" %>

There is no need to
        3. Copy the tag library descriptor file to the /WEB-INF subdirectory
           of the web application.
        4. Add a <taglib> element to the web application deployment
           descriptor in /WEB-INF/web.xml

This change does not affect usage under a JSP1.1 container, and makes
life easier under JSP1.2. (see section 7.3.3 of the JSP 1.2 PFD for
more details on "implicit map in tag libraries" which was added in 1.2.)

Thanks again!

    -- Pierre

[Agree that I can simply use the following taglib directive
   <%@ taglib uri="WEB-INF/lib/ant-tags.jar" prefix="foo" %>
 and all works fine, but it is preferable to refer to these
 libraries using their public URI that uniquely identifies a specific
 version of the tag library]