From mdela...@us.britannica.com
Subject taglibs contribution
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:08:12 GMT
Hi all,

I'd like to contribute two tag libraries (attached) to the project.  Jakarta
currently has tag libraries for only two of the four JSP scopes, request and
session.  I created tag libraries for the other two scopes.  Here's a
complete list of the new tags:

  application taglib
  ------------------
  attribute
  attributes
  existsattribute
  setattribute
  removeattribute
  equalsattribute     (new functionality)
  initparameter       (new functionality)
  initparameters      (new functionality)
  existsinitparameter (new functionality)
  equalsinitparameter (new functionality)

  page taglib
  ------------------
  attribute
  attributes
  existsattribute
  setattribute
  removeattribute
  equalsattribute     (new functionality)

The tag libraries are code-complete and well-documented.

Later this week (or so :) I'd also like to submit some new tags for the
request and session taglibs.  The tags themselves are done, but I'm still
working on the javadocs for them, and then I'll have to create diff files
against the current documentation.  Here are the tags I'd like to add:

  request taglib
  ------------------
  equalsattribute
  equalscookie
  equalsheader
  equalsparameter

  session taglib
  ------------------
  equalsattribute

When I submit my updates to the request and session taglibs, I'd like to
update the "Requirements" section of their documentation, which is not quite
accurate.  It currently reads:

>  This custom tag library requires no software other than a servlet
>  container that supports the JavaServer Pages Specification, version 1.1.

I think this is a more accurate requirement:

>  This custom tag library requires no software other than a servlet
>  container that supports the JavaServer Pages Specification, version 1.2.
>
>  The tag library also works in some JSP version 1.1 servlet containers,
>  such as Tomcat, but not in others, such as Weblogic. The tags in this
>  tag library are designed according to the JSP 1.2 specification, which
>  makes this requirement of the <jsp:getProperty ... /> tag:
>
>    The value of the name attribute in jsp:setProperty and
>    jsp:getProperty will refer to an object that is obtained from the
>    pageContext object through its findAttribute() method.
>
>  The JSP 1.1 specification does not require this behaviour, and while
>  Tomcat happens to support it, Weblogic does not. Note that it is fairly
>  straightforward to write a custom tag that emulates this behaviour for
>  Weblogic users. Sample source code for such a tag can be found here.

If you compare the JSP 1.1 and JSP 1.2 specification, I think you'll find
that this statement is accurate.

Well, I think these are pretty useful tags.  Let me know if you will take
them!

- Morgan Delagrange