From "Serge Knystautas" <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Discussion Initiation: Incorporation of custom tag libraries into authoring tools.
Date Sun, 03 Dec 2000 23:59:48 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "A. Keyton Weissinger" <keytonw@bellsouth.net>

> I am beginning work in earnest on my book. Several of you have indicated
> some very useful additions to my planned content. THANK YOU!

Keyton,

I don't think the problem right now is with tag libraries... a tool editor
can very easily read the .tld file for a tag library and know exactly what
the options are... in the .tld you define a friendly name, a description for
the tag library and for each tag, and all attributes for all tags... this
should be more than what an IDE needs to allow easy integration of custom
tag libraries.

I think the two limiting factors are the relative youth of JSP custom tags
and the fact that there are few prominent IDEs to develop JSPs.  For
"serious" java developers, there are a smaller handful (VisualAge,
VisualCafe, etc...), but these people are less likely to develop JSPs and
less likely to benefit from this kind of integration.  The HTML writers that
could really benefit (most) from this integration are using text editors or
maybe dreamweaver or frontpage or homesite, or one of a hundred other HTML
scripting tools.

I think you have very important concerns, and I'm very interested in helping
JSPs and custom tags get more acceptance and wider use, but I'm not sure if
there's much you can do with the spec right now.  I think a tool like
Dreamweaver could benefit tremendously by incorporating tag libraries...
they could stand to get much more "enterprise" usage.  Maybe Homesite will
integrate since I believe they're owned by Allaire which is moving towards
more JSP usage through it's acquisition of JRun/LiveSoftware.  I'm not sure
how to better encourage them though.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/