From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Contribution
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:53:09 GMT
Shiraz Kanga wrote:

> Dear Taglibbers:
>
> I've developed a fairly sophisticated tag that draws a calendar (useful
> in things like scheduling apps, etc). It is quite flexible /
> configurable and the code is also pretty well documented.
>
> I'd like to donate this code to the Apache Group. Can anyone tell me how
> this is done? Should I just post it here as an attachment? I couldnt
> find out how to do this from the jakarta web site.
>
> Feel free to try it out at http://www.devport.com:8080/examples/demo.jsp
>
> Or try demo2.jsp at the same place, which just adds some parameters to
> the tag to make the calendar look a little uglier :-)

I looked briefly at the demo and it looks cool. I'd like to see this
added to the project.

But I feel we need to set up some guidelines for accepting new contributions.
I can't find any document on the web site or in the CVS archive that
describes this (maybe I'm just not looking hard enough), but based on how
other contributions have been handled, this is what I think we need:
1) The source code must structured as all the other tag libraries,
   with build scripts etc. (A doc describing this would be nice).
2) The code must belong to the package org.apache.taglibs.<unique-name>
3) The person that contributes the code must be accepted as a Committer
   and be willing to continue working with the library for some time,
   at least until others get familiar with it (or something like that).

Am I roughly in line here? If so, I can try to put together a document
with these guidelines and someone with commit privileges can add it
to the CVS archive, and maybe to the web site as well. If such as
document already exists, please tell me where it is.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com