From Shawn Bayern <shawn.bay...@yale.edu>
Subject Offer to submit <form>-related taglib
Date Sat, 12 Aug 2000 18:19:52 GMT
Hi there.  I'm curious if there'd be any interest in my submission of a
custom taglib I'm working on that makes it easier to present HTML form
elements that are prepopulated with default input.  My library is
reasonably similar to Joe Ottinger's at

	http://cupid.suninternet.com/~joeo/?key=form

but organizes data differently, in a way that might be more straightforward
for a project that doesn't depend heavily on bean-structured organization.
That is, his uses a list of objects with accessors, whereas mine uses a
Map, much like JRun's; thus, if you've got data in any form, you don't
need to write a class that encapsulates the data -- you simply load it
into, say, a Hashtable and present it to the tag.

The goal is provide a general set of tags that assist in building
particular <form> elements -- NOT whole <forms> themselves -- without
tying itself too closely with a particular revision of the HTML spec.
While JRun's library, for instance, appears to be a thin wrapper tied to
HTML 4.0, my goal is to be more general.  For instance, my <input:select>
tag (corresponding to an HTML <select>, arguably the most involved of the
form elements I deal with) is given the following attributes:

			<option value="value">key</option>

	attributes:	a Map of key/value pairs used as
			<select key1="value1" key2="value2" ...>
			so as to preserve generality across
			HTML standards, browsers, etc.

I also try to be more general than existing libraries in other respects,
(e.g., "multiple" <select>s).  My library is, overall, fairly thin and
doesn't attempt general <form> handling or client-side JavaScript input
validation (since I categorically prefer server-side validation).  It's
really just a utility library acting as a macro language for eliminating
repetitive tasks; nonetheless, I think it's convenient and should help
developers.

I'd like to offer this to the taglib project -- preferably, if possible,
under the condition that I retain functional "ownership" of this
particular library, dealing with changes and updates myself.

Would that work, and is there any interest in the first place?  Either
way, best wishes.

Shawn