From Gal Shachor <shac...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: ANNOUNCE: Example SQL Taglib for JSP...
Date Tue, 09 May 2000 08:35:55 GMT

Boyd Waters wrote:

> "Joseph B. Ottinger" wrote:
>
> > really think an SQL taglib really is a lousy replacement for proper
> > design, such as a bean that retrieves data from an indeterminate source.
>
> YES!! TOTALLY CORRECT! After implementing the example SQL tag, I
> immediately set it aside and my JSP pages use an object-based
> approach... that's why I refer to the object-based iterator in my sample
> code...

I would not call that a "lousy ... design" but an alternative design. It
is true that using Model-2 for accessing a database may looks like the
right
approach yet:
1. It force the company to have a good Java developer even for a very
   simple project.
2. You create bean objects that wrap your result set, it is a good thing
   for several reasons but if all you want to do is to create a simple
report
   based on a database table then it is too much of an effort.
3. You stay with the same old problem of populating your page using
scriptlets.

On the other hand:

1. Many simple cases can be handled very easily using a  tag library.
And after
   the initial effort of creating the library, using it is really easy
(mainly
   for non programmer persons).
2. You should remember that many of the database driven pages are in use
for
   small scale/internal sites and for such sites you can not even assume
that
   you are going to see a design (of any type). The site will just
happen, and
   for these sites tag libraries are a life savers.

Sure, model-2 and its derivatives are technically better and the
architecture is
clean, but you do not use it every day.

	Gal Shachor