From "Mike Cannon-Brookes" <m...@bookmarkbox.com>
Subject Project merger / Lots of new tags?
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:55:05 GMT
G'day,

To introduce myself, I'm currently the lead developer / maintainer of the
IN16 JSPTags project that's hosted over at SourceForge. My interest in
creating a comprehensive, stable tag library has been high for a while now -
the reason we created the SourceForge project. Your taglibs project just
came up on my radar, and it seems silly to have two efforts running
concurrently to produce the same end goal?

What I propose (and I've consulted with the two other main developers and
two main testers), is that we merge our code created so far into the Jakarta
Taglibs project and come on board?

Points
- The code is currently under the Artistic License and would have to be
changed to the Apache license (this is no problem with any of the
developers)
- We have a good roadmap of where we want to head / what tags we have slated
to develop in the Tasks section of the SourceForge project, might I suggest
you take a look and see how that fits with the Tomcat vision? (I think there
are about 25+ ideas listed there) I hunted around but could not find such a
roadmap / list of idea tags anywhere to Jakarta taglibs?
- The tags (around 20 I think) are currently in 4 main libraries - HTML,
Forms, External (tags like HTTP / File / Directory) and Mail. They range
from very solid to very 'beta' but that's what having lots of eyes will help
right?
- Future slated libraries include DB tags, EJB tags, File tags (the current
File tag is monolithic and deserves it's own library IMHO) and Utility tags.

We also currently have planned to distribute the tags as a single jar
libraries AND deployable WAR including documentation, source and examples -
an idea you might want to consider as it keeps all the elements of the
library together and it readily viewable in any spec compliant container.

Well that's my pitch, how does it sit with you all?

Let me know,

Cheers,
Mike