From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Project merger / Lots of new tags?
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:21:07 GMT
Mike Cannon-Brookes wrote:

> G'day,
>
> To introduce myself, I'm currently the lead developer / maintainer of the
> IN16 JSPTags project that's hosted over at SourceForge. My interest in
> creating a comprehensive, stable tag library has been high for a while now -
> the reason we created the SourceForge project. Your taglibs project just
> came up on my radar, and it seems silly to have two efforts running
> concurrently to produce the same end goal?

Makes sense, although I'm sure there will be other efforts undertaken.

> What I propose (and I've consulted with the two other main developers and
> two main testers), is that we merge our code created so far into the Jakarta
> Taglibs project and come on board?

That sounds really good to me.

I've checked in a proposed organization for tag libraries (and their associated
docs and example apps) into the "jakarta-taglibs" CVS workspace.  Please take a
look and see how it might work for you, or if you have suggestions for
improvements.

> Points
> - The code is currently under the Artistic License and would have to be
> changed to the Apache license (this is no problem with any of the
> developers)

Good -- we need Apache license on the code in Jakarta.

> - We have a good roadmap of where we want to head / what tags we have slated
> to develop in the Tasks section of the SourceForge project, might I suggest
> you take a look and see how that fits with the Tomcat vision? (I think there
> are about 25+ ideas listed there) I hunted around but could not find such a
> roadmap / list of idea tags anywhere to Jakarta taglibs?

I will take a look.  We haven't got a roadmap defined yet, but that should be a
short term objective.  Your list will probably make a good starting point.

What we've done on Tomcat is created a STATUS.html file in the top-level
directory, outlining areas of functionality that people might be interested in
working on.  They can then sign up there with their EMAIL addresses, so that
others interested in the same topic can correspond directly, or at least see
that there is someone else interested in working on the same thing.

> - The tags (around 20 I think) are currently in 4 main libraries - HTML,
> Forms, External (tags like HTTP / File / Directory) and Mail. They range
> from very solid to very 'beta' but that's what having lots of eyes will help
> right?

:-)

> - Future slated libraries include DB tags, EJB tags, File tags (the current
> File tag is monolithic and deserves it's own library IMHO) and Utility tags.

That sounds good.

One thing I'm not too concerned about is having different custom tag libraries
with overlapping functionality.  I don't think it's really our place to decide
whose version of a "for loop" tag is the right one - let people define their
own.  What people use will probably dictate where future enhancements get
focused.

> We also currently have planned to distribute the tags as a single jar
> libraries AND deployable WAR including documentation, source and examples -
> an idea you might want to consider as it keeps all the elements of the
> library together and it readily viewable in any spec compliant container.

The "distributable" format of a Jakarta Taglibs library, as currently defined,
includes four files:

* {taglib}.tld -- The tag library descriptor suitable for dropping
  in to your WEB-INF directory.

* {taglib}.jar -- The tag library classes and resources themselves,
  suitable for dropping in your WEB-INF/lib directory.

* {taglib}-doc.jar -- A web application containing the documentation
  for page developers who want to use the tags in this library (why
  a webapp?  So you can do things that require processing for
  your docs if you want).

* {taglib}-examples.jar -- A web application containing examples
  of the usage of your tags.

Does that sound reasonable?

> Well that's my pitch, how does it sit with you all?
>
> Let me know,

That sounds great!  You'll be welcomed.

> Cheers,
> Mike