jakarta-slide-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Oliver" <ol...@alariussystems.com>
Subject Performance
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 23:06:38 GMT
Hi gents,

I just have a quick question on design or architecture related to Slide 2.1
and performance.

I have been using and developing on slide now since before version 2.0 and
have even written some tutorials for slide on IBM DeveloperWorks.  I say
this only so a responder won't waste time on trivialities.

Now let me start by saying there are many ways to skin a cat and I am not
trying to be critical of something I hold so highly.  However there are a
few things that bother me about the design and lead to what I believe are
bottlenecks in scaling slide to more users and more kinds of implementations
built on slide.

One is the practice of storing a list of child nodes in the metadata of a
collection node.seems like a waste to me.  For example on the filesystem and
therefore with the TxFile* stores, the list of children doesn't need to be
stored in the metadata (as far as I can tell) because it is readily
available in the file object for the folder.  Opening, reading, inserting,
and writing the collection's .def.xml (or the equivalent in the db) and the
potential for deadlocks, contention and conflict with two or more users
adding children at the same time to the same collection seems intuitively
obvious.  So why do it?

Similarly, the 'group-member-set' for roles while not a factor in
performance, seems awkward and cumbersome compared to a users collection and
children.  I mentioned this before and got "they aren't the same" and while
that is certainly true logically the members of a role are not different
than the members of a collection of users.  Adding a user by simply doing a
mkcol under /slide/users/ makes perfect sense, but so would simply doing a
mkcol under /slide/roles/ for a username to be added to a role.  Simple and
consistent.

If this august group's response is, Ok why don't you volunteer, I would say,
ok I will.  I will contribute a patch for the
TxFileDescriptorsStore/XMLResourceDescriptor to fix the handling of
collections metadata which I believe is the biggest problem and if that is
received well I will contribute more.

 <http://www.alariussystems.com>

 <http://mikeoliveraz.blogspot.com> Highly Cohesive and Loosely Coupled

Mike Oliver
CTO

Alarius Systems LLC

<http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=6800+E.+Lake+Mead+Blvd&csz=L
as+Vegas%2C+NV+89156&country=us> 6800 E. Lake Mead Blvd
Apt 1096
Las Vegas, NV 89156

 <mailto:ollie@alariussystems.com> ollie@alariussystems.com
 <http://www.alariussystems.com/> http://www.alariussystems.com/