jakarta-regexp-dev mailing list archives

From Patrik Beno <patrik.b...@qbizm.com>
Subject Speed of A{m,n}
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:05:01 GMT
Hi all!

I found out that compiling following regexp:

  ^.{1,32}$

is very slow. I've thought I have a bug in my code, later on I've
thought regexp 1.2 is buggy and is cycling somewhere in endless loop.

However, expression is compiled, but the time it takes to do so is
unacceptable. Each time you increase the second number, time to
compute/compile expression raises exponentially.

I wonder: is it just unoptimized code or it is simply hard to compile
such an expression? May it be optimized?

Jakarta-regexp 1.2
Sun JDK 1.3.1
Redhat Linux 7.1

patrik.beno@{qbizm.com|inmail.sk}                         ICQ#98931498
Patrik Beno                                   Qbizm Technologies, Inc.
analyst / developer                           ... the art of Internet.
Kralovopolska 139                                tel: +420 5 4124 2414
601 12 Brno, CZ        http://www.qbizm.com      fax: +420 5 4121 2696