jakarta-regexp-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: a regexp jcp jsr?
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2000 03:38:12 GMT
on 10/18/2000 5:28 PM, "Ian Darwin" <ian@darwinsys.com> wrote:

> Forgive me if this has been discussed already. There are quite a few
> different RegExp packages for Java (I know of yours, the GNU one on GJT,
> one by Richard Emberson <FORMERLY emberson@faslab.com>, sent to
> advanced-java@xcf.berkeley.edu in April 1997), and one I wrote
> (mine is pedagogical, not efficient!).

In summary, GPL software doesn't count cause you can't actually use it for
anything commercial unless you also want to make your software GPL'd as
well.

Hence the reason why I started the Regexp project as well as the ORO
project.

> I wonder if it would be worthwhile starting a Java Community Process
> Java Standards Request (JCP JSR) in order to try to hammer out a
> standard API so that the various packages could be usable in the same way?
>
> I am interested in serving on the committee but I don't have
> paid-up membership in the JCP and thus cannot submit the JSR. I am
> told that The Apache Foundation has, so some of you that are well-up
> in this project ought to be able to submit the JSR proposal and get
> the ball rolling.
>
> Ian Darwin
> ian@darwinsys.com

Ian, thanks for bringing this up. Let me shed some light on things for you.
:-)

<rant>
Sure. It is entirely possible if you feel like doing it, but I warn you that
it is a royal pain in the ass and full of a lot of political overhead and
just plain general crap that you will have to deal with.

I spent many months convincing Sun to remove the fee so it doesn't apply any
longer if you are doing this on your own. I spent many more months
convincing Sun that I didn't need to sign their NDA. If we also make you a
member of the ASF you will be able to get away with not having to sign their
stupid NDA, however you will still be under it because you would be under
the ASF's NDA. It is all complete bullshit, an NDA for OSS software.
Gee...that makes sense. Not.

Sigh, my suggestion to you is to not waste your time with the JCP process.
Over here in ASF land, we make enough of a positive impact on the community
on our own that for the most part, playing Sun's political games just isn't
worth it.

By using and promoting our own software, we have enough of a standard for
ourselves that we don't need Sun to define it for us. People know to come to
the ASF to look for quality Java software.
</rant>

If you would like to discuss this further, please CC the jcp@apache.org
mailing list. It is a private forum into Sun land for us as there are
several people from Sun on the mailing list. You won't be able to see our
discussion on it since the list is also under NDA. Sigh.

-jon

--
http://scarab.tigris.org/    | http://noodle.tigris.org/
http://java.apache.org/      | http://java.apache.org/turbine/