jakarta-regexp-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Darwin <...@darwinsys.com>
Subject a regexp jcp jsr?
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2000 00:28:59 GMT
Forgive me if this has been discussed already. There are quite a few
different RegExp packages for Java (I know of yours, the GNU one on GJT,
one by Richard Emberson <FORMERLY emberson@faslab.com>, sent to
advanced-java@xcf.berkeley.edu in April 1997), and one I wrote
(mine is pedagogical, not efficient!).

I wonder if it would be worthwhile starting a Java Community Process
Java Standards Request (JCP JSR) in order to try to hammer out a
standard API so that the various packages could be usable in the same way?

I am interested in serving on the committee but I don't have
paid-up membership in the JCP and thus cannot submit the JSR. I am
told that The Apache Foundation has, so some of you that are well-up
in this project ought to be able to submit the JSR proposal and get
the ball rolling.

Ian Darwin
ian@darwinsys.com