jakarta-regexp-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: Another regexp package under a BSD license.
Date Wed, 24 May 2000 19:02:42 GMT
on 5/24/2000 3:58 AM, Mo DeJong at mdejong@cygnus.com wrote:

> I was just reading about the Regexp 1.0 and Oro Matcher
> releases so I thought I would throw another "hat" in
> the ring. There is a BSD regexp implementation included
> in the 1.3 version of Jacl (Tcl scripting implemented
> in Java). It was actually written to replace the Oro Matcher
> package which was included in Jacl was slated to be replaced
> because it was not open sourced. This regexp implementation
> was written by the kind folks at Sun labs. It is basically
> a Java port of Henry Spencer's regexp package for Tcl.
>
> If anyone wants to check it out, you can find the source
> code in the tcljava CVS. The CVSROOT is
> :pserver:cvs@cvs.scriptics.com:/cvsroot with a password
> of "cvs" and a module name of "tcljava". Look in the
> tcljava/src/jacl/sunlabs/brazil/util/regexp dir for
> the implementation. The code is contained in just two
> classes, you can't get much more "trimmed down" than
> that. There is also some additional info floating
> around on http:/www.scriptics.com/java in case
> anyone wants to poke around.
>
> I hope that helps.
> Mo Dejong
> Red Hat Inc.

Hi Mo, it is nice to see you on this list. :-)

Thanks for the email. It turns out that the ORO stuff will become OSS under
the BSD license...in fact, it will go into the Jakarta project (as you
read).

I will add a link from the jakarta-regexp site to the TCL pages as another
alternative for another BSD regexp library. :-)

thanks,

-jon