jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Development Plan
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 04:02:26 GMT

In message <p06230920bfe22c838928@[10.0.1.2]>, "Mark F. Murphy" writes:
>Seriously though, do we expect the projects that depend on ORO
>currently to be switching to java.util.regex?

I think they will switch, but I wouldn't say we should expect them to in
the sense of recommending they switch.  By and large, most Java developers
prefer to use the core APIs and eliminate dependencies on non-standard
libraries.  The latest case of this I've seen has been various comments
in public forums criticizing programmers using my RockSaw raw socket
library because it's non-standard and there's a possibility raw sockets
may be added to java.net in a future JDK.

I think it's a safe bet that most new Java development that requires
regular expressions is being done with java.util.regex.  The interest
in alternative regular expression libraries appears to have dropped
precipitously since the release of JDK 1.4.  There's a lot of development
we could do to improve ORO--from feature enhancements, such as supporting
the latest Perl regex syntax, to design and performance improvements--but
there's got to be reason to make the time investment.  I keep on finding
jakarta-oro jars being used in unexpected places, but I haven't seen any
of the developers for those projects show up here despite its apparently
very widespread use :(

daniel

    s a v a r e s e      # In distant lands, I hear the call of my home.
   software research     # Yet my work is not done.  My journey's just begun.
http://www.savarese.com/ #  -- http://www.sleepandthetraveller.com/