jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Development Plan
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:06:38 GMT

In message <p06230952bfdf91794dcd@[10.0.1.2]>, "Mark F. Murphy" writes:
>Is there still a goal of adding Perl 5.6 regex?  Is work being done on it?
>
>With so many projects using ORO, is there a need to move forward on this?

I think the situation we're in is one of insufficient demand for
enhancements.  When demand evidences itself, I think we'll see
work on enhancements (provided those with the demand are willing to
do some of the work).  But I don't expect that demand to materialize,
especially after java.util.regex has reinvented or borrowed jakarta-oro
concepts to fix API shortcomings in its original incarnation (e.g., the
addition in 1.5 of MatchResult, quote(), the usePattern() kluge,
region(), etc.).

daniel