jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Version file for oro...
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:47:30 GMT

In message <p060204bbbca2691fb94d@[10.0.1.4]>, "Mark F. Murphy" writes:
>Can we check to see if there's a more common way to do this?
>Worse case I guess could be:
>
>getVersion().toString()

There's no reason there can't be a static String OROVersion.getVersion()
in addition to a Version OROVersion.getVersion().  I just thought a generic
Version class has possible uses that we may not anticipate.  The average
ORO user would not ever need it.  But I can see some uses in dynamic loading
situations or in test applications or for Gump.  Mostly I don't like
locking functionality into static methods that might be reusable.  I
regret having made the org.apache.oro.regex.Util class final with a slew
of static methods.  In my view, singletons are more appropriate for
application level code than class libraries.

daniel