jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: jakarta-oro next steps
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:14:21 GMT

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Daniel F. Savarese wrote:

> Henri wrote:
> >I wrote:
> >> I guess I'm looking for some confirmation of or pointer to the proper
> >> ASF-compliant release procedure.
> >
> >Probably makes sense to follow the Commons release policies:
>
> Actually, what I meant to write was "proper ASF-compliant release approval
> procedure" since the Jakarta convention has been to have committers vote
> while Greg pointed out that it's the PMC's responsibility.  In practice
> if all committers are on the PMC, it works out.  In any case, I just don't
> recall ever reading anywhere how the PMC is supposed to oversee a release.
> Everything I've ever read, including the HTTPD project release guidelines
> (http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html) only talk about committers
> voting.

As far as I know, the current interpretation of the procedure [meaning the
one in my head :)] is that the project votes on a release, then notifies
the PMC of such a release, allowing the PMC time to veto the release.

I think this feels pretty good. The people who are doing the day to day
coding decide that they are ready for a release to be made. They then
confirm with the people responsible for the project legally [the PMC] that
a release may be made.

I like the idea of a period of time [24?48? hours] during which anyone
on the PMC may -1 the release plan. This works well I think if at least
the person on the project who makes the request to the PMC is also on the
PMC.

Hen