jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Markey <kmar...@onerealm.com>
Subject RE: jakarta-oro dilemma
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:33:57 GMT
Our firm has incorporated ORO into one of our products for the
following reasons:

1. At the time, java.util.regex did not exist.
2. We prefer Perl regex compatibility.
3. There are still apparent ORO performance advantages.
4. There are still weaknesses in java.util.regex.
5. ORO has proven to be a solid, reliable component.

For these reasons, we hope that whatever is decided maintains
approximately the same API and adds Perl 5.8 compatibility.

And please accept our thanks for everyone who has contributed to
the ORO project.

Without knowing more about the proposed 2.0.8 release, its timing, and
any proposed division of labor, it would be difficult to commit to
personally contribute, but I would be happy to seriously consider such
a contribution.  Please keep me on the list and up-to-date on plans.

Thanks.
Kevin Markey