jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark F. Murphy" <ma...@tyrell.com>
Subject Re: Email Regex
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:46:01 GMT
At 11:41 AM -0500 10/30/02, Daniel F. Savarese wrote:
>In message <p05111b12b9d9ed6db804@[10.0.1.2]>, "Mark F. Murphy" writes:
>>Has anyone tried the regex that matches an internet email address?
>>
>>http://examples.oreilly.com/regex/email-unopt.pl
>>http://examples.oreilly.com/regex/email-opt.pl
>
>I think someone may have at one point and it blew the stack because of
>some recursion.  I think the same thing happens in Perl, except the
>stack grows more gracefully than in Java, where you may have to specify
>in advance a largish stack.

Well, I actually ended up doing it and it works great!

To be honest, I didn't do the full RFC 822 spec.... I left out the
weird domain routing.

So my version is a subset of RFC 822.

I'll have to try the whole spec I suppose.

>  >Would this be a good test case?
>
>Definitely yes, with a good helping of email addresses.

Well, I have the class.... and I can add in the whole spec.

Actually, modifying the class to have a few options (like no domain
routing) might be a good thing as well.

Hmmmmm.... where would we get email addresses to test?

There's several combinations to test the spec.

mark