jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject new feature set
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 18:40:45 GMT

In message <p05111735b8eb24bdf818@[192.168.9.116]>, "Mark F. Murphy" writes:
>By the way... at one point we wanted to put in new perl
>compatibility.  Has anyone started this yet or have we laid out a
>feature set to implement?

I put some placeholder skeleton documentation in place, but never
got farther than that, time constraints being what they are.  If we
can just figure out a way to incrementally hash this out on the mailing
list, 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there, we could at least arrive at
a plan in a few weeks.  There are a number of things I'd like to add
outside of the Perl 5.6 (soon 5.8) compatibility.  One of these is
include factory class(es) for plugging in any regular expression package
using the org.apache.oro.text.regex interfaces.  This way we can wrap
the JDK 1.4 java.util.regex package and let developers choose an engine
on the fly without changing any code.  Another thing is to use
conditional compilation (I think there's an Ant cpp task floating around)
to support different JVM versions.  My main motivation is to have a
J2ME version of the package (especially since J2ME doesn't include
java.util.regex).  But I understand there are projects which for various
reasons will still be using JDK 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3, so we want to keep
those users.  JDK 1.4+ folks can use java.util.regex if they want, but
we'll be the truly cross-platform/cross-jvm choice.

daniel