jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Qusetion
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2002 07:36:32 GMT

In message <005e01c1a242$f74f5fc0$20c8a8c0@eurolink.stpn.soft.net>, "Hardeep Si
ngh" writes:
>I have had this problem for a long time now:
>However, when I try to use this to search into a binary file (esp. a JAR
>file), it gives me
>
>Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
        at org.apache.oro.text.awk.AwkMatcher._search(AwkMatcher.java:717)

The awk package and AwkMatcher are implemented to only work with input
containing characters with 8-bit values (0-255).  This is because it is
a straight-up DFA implementation, which results in fast matches (no
backtracking) but extremely large state transition tables if the range
of input is expanded beyond 8 bits.  This will be documented more
obviously in the future.  At any rate, the reason you're getting the
exception is because a char value greater than 255 is being encountered,
for which no state transition is defined.  For full Unicode, use the
Perl or glob matchers.

daniel