jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Code Submission?
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2001 10:46:10 GMT

>any comments and/or feedback on the MethodSubstitution class I send a few
>weeks ago?

I was hoping other people would have comments.  My personal feeling is
that we don't want to encourage people to use reflection where interfaces
will do the job.  So I would recommend against incorporating it as
a standard part of the software.

I also have a code critique about STA.  Rather than create new
Perl5Compiler and Perl5Matcher instances every time STA.contains(),
STA.substitute(), etc. are called, it is more efficient to create a single
instance of each and store them as member variables.  Also, precompiling
the frequently used patterns is more efficient than recompiling them every
time; you can replace the pattern compiler with a PatternCache to make the
chore easier.  At any rate, given the lack of a programmer's guide, none
of this is obvious.  I'll try to at least cut and paste the old OROMatcher
guide into a rough version covering only org.apache.oro.text.regex this
week.

daniel