jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: End Anchor bug on non-Unix platforms
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:09:01 GMT
on 6/12/01 10:31 AM, "Mark F. Murphy" <markm@tyrell.com> wrote:

> At 12:49 PM -0400 6/12/01, Daniel F. Savarese wrote:
>> Thanks a bunch Mark!  With Mac OS X out, I'm really tempted to buy a Mac
>> (I've got a couple of NeXTstations lying around ...).  More than a few
>> Java packages out there behave funny on the Mac because no one ever bothers
>> to test it on there (usually threads stuff).  It's awesome that you can
>> provide full platform coverage.
>
> I haven't tried Java under MacOS X yet... but by all my reading and
> attending some sessions at Apple's WWDC, looks like Apple is serious
> about Java under the new OS.
>
> I can't wait to have some time to actually do a Java based program
> under MacOS X.
>
> mark

MacOS 9's JVM != MacOSX JVM.

In fact, the MacOSX JVM does indeed kick some serious ass. It isn't a huge
speed demon (yet), but things work *perfectly*. They also have some cool
technology in there for static member sharing across multiple JVM's on the
same machine. In other words, running two JVM's is much less resource
intensive than on other platforms because they share information between
themselves.

I highly recommend OSX.

-jon

--
"Open source is not available to commercial companies."
            -Steve Ballmer, CEO Microsoft