jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: AW: JDK 1.4 java.util.regex is a disappointment
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2001 21:33:27 GMT

>I've searched through the Java Community Process(es)
>to find a JCP that is related to the regex API
>of JDK1.4 /J2SE1.4 "Merlin".
>
>But have not found anything.
>This would be an "official" way to affect
>how the API is done.

It's part of JSR-51, but it's a little late to have any impact on it.
It's too late to ask to be added to the working group as an individual
expert so the best that can be done is send some feedback I suppose.
But the goal of the this piece of JSR-51 was to provide a simple
API, not a flexible one nor an efficient one.  So by that measure,
one could argue they did a good job.  Ultimately, I feel it is just more
bloat to the core APIs and has no business being added to it at this
juncture given the wealth of third party solutions.  It just continues
a pattern of marginalizing third parties, the same way Microsoft decides
to build things into the OS normally provided by third parties.  Lest
I start to flame, yes, we could give them some feedback, perhaps by
writing up the criticisms akin to how Jon wrote his JSP critique.

daniel