jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark F. Murphy" <ma...@tyrell.com>
Subject Re: Yow... No More Java 1.1 Support?
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 19:30:11 GMT
At 11:45 AM -0700 5/10/01, Jon Stevens wrote:
>Oh come on. Upgrade your JDK. You have had warning that the support would go
>away.
>
>JDK 1.2 has been out for *years* now and is supported on all the major
>platforms except MacOS9.

Not very helpful.

There are *deployment* situations where it is not possible to upgrade the JDK.

For example, some software written in Java might have dependencies on
a particular JDK and not be certified to work in newer JDKs.

I realize that a *warning* was given...

But...

I'm questioning what is gained by making Jakarta-Ora *not* compatible
with JDK 1.1?

Switching from Vector to ArrayList hardly seems like a *reason*.

I could understand the reliance on JDK 1.2 if there was a compelling
reason... like performance... some class that was in 1.2 that was
absolutely necessary.

But we are talking a regex package here.

Most C based regex packages are done with just C.

I'd find it hard to believe that Oro must rely on 1.2.

Haven't you ever run into a deployment situation where you were stuck
with an older version of a dev system or dependent libraries?

It happens.

It can happen a lot.

mark

  Mark F. Murphy, Director Software Development   <mailto:markm@tyrell.com>